Sunday, May 17, 2015

In "The Star-Spangled Banner," "The deep" (line 9) means: the sky, the throat, leak, or the ocean?

The second stanza of Francis Scott Key's "The Star-Spangled
Banner" reads:



On the
shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread
silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As
it fitfully blows, half conceals, half
discloses?



In my humble opinion, "the
deep" refers to the ocean; "the mists of the deep" refers to the mist that often rises from the
waters of the ocean.


Referring to the ocean as "the deep" is an
example of calling a noun by an adjective that describes it; in other words, "the deep" is short
for "the deep ocean." Compare this to the contemporary phrase "my bad," which is short for "my
bad move" or "my bad action."


Is this something new? Not at all.
Check out Shakespeare's Sonnet 18:


readability="5">

And every fair from fair sometime
declines...



In my opinion, the first
word "fair" is a substitute for "fair [beautiful] thing" (the second one is probably short for
the noun "fairness"). The noun (in this case, the poet's beloved) is referred to by the
adjective--"fair"--that describes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...