Thursday, May 21, 2015

What characteristics did all of the influential women of the 60s have in common?

During the 1960s, there were many, many influential women. 
These include everyone from singers and entertainers (like Joan Baez and Jane Fonda) to writers
(like Erma Bombeck) to politicians in America and elsewhere (Bella Abzug, Shirley Chisholm, Golda
Meir).  Because there is such a wide range of women, I think there is very little that you can
say they have in common.  To me, the only real common thread here is that all of these women were
more assertive than their societies thought women should be.


During
the '60s, there was still a pretty strong attitude that women should be somewhat subordinate to
men and that their lives should be somewhat private and controlled.  In contrast to this
expectation, the women who became intellectual all spoke out aggressively.  All of them put
themselves out in public and demanded to be heard.  I think this is the major attribute they had
in common.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...