Monday, May 11, 2015

What is the Silver Age of Russian Culture?

Enjoyed my Russian history courses the most out of my college
experience.  Some have said that the Silver Age is so named because the Golden Age was better.  I
don't think that's true, just that the Silver Age was different in terms of Russian Culture and
its development.


Others would say (and I think this is more
accurate) that the Golden Age was more centered around musical composers, symphonies and novels,
while the Silver Age was more focused on poets and
playwrights.


Mostly we are talking about cultural history in the
late 19th and early 20th centuries, before World War I and the Bolshevik Revolution.  Playwright
Anton Chekhov was during this time period, as was poet Boris Pasternak.  Composer Igor Stravinksi
is also considered part of the Silver Age.


The accompanying link
does a nice job of identifying other artists and musicians that fit into that time
period.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...