Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Does anyone believe the violence between Israel and Palestine will ever end? Why or Why not?

I do not think that it will end in the near term, but it
is impossible to say with certainty that something will never end.  There are too many
things that can happen to cause changes.  After all, who would have thought in 1980 that
the Cold War was going to end?  Who would have thought in 1820 that slavery in the US
would end.


I do not see it ending in my lifetime, though. 
It just seems that the divisions are too deep and that pressures today are making things
worse rather than better.  I would say that there are at least two issues that make it
very unlikely for the violence to end soon:


  • The
    issues Israel and the West have with Iran.  These make it harder for us to accept a free
    Palestinian state since it is so closely tied (especially Hamas) to
    Iran.

  • The perceived conflict between Islam and the West. 
    This makes compromise very difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...