Thursday, October 21, 2010

What could be used as a three-dimensional prop to represent or symbolize Tom Robinson in To Kill a Mockingbird?

It is hard to tell from your question exactly what you are
looking for, but I assume this can be an abstract or "artistic"
prop.


Personally, when I think of Tom Robinson, I think of
a couple things (physically): The first is his withered/crippled left hand which was the
result of an accident with a cotton gin when he was a child.  The book describes his
left arm as a full "twelve inches" shorter than his right arm.  I'm not sure of an
object you could use for this, but anything that showed his one bad arm would tap in to
a key element of his innocence that is ignored by the
jury.


The other physical picture that I associate with Tom
Robinson is that of an axe.  He is asked by Mayella to come in and "bust up a
chiffarobe."  Though he only has one working hand and arm, he testifies that she had
asked him on several occasions to come in to the yard and do other little odd jobs for
her like chopping wood.  Link Deas interrupts the court to announce how good of a worker
Tom Robinson is.  I think an axe could symbolize both his strength and his
ability/willingness to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...