Monday, October 25, 2010

Throughout Act 4, scene 3 of Macbeth, several derogatory terms are used to refer to Macbeth. Make a list of these terms.

In this scene, Malcolm and Macduff have lots to say
against Macbeth.  They blame the nearly irreparable state of affairs in Scotland on
Macbeth's bloodthirsty killing spree.  Here are some of the terms they use to describe
him:


  • "this tyrant,
    whose sole name blisters our tongues" (Malcolm)

  • Macduff
    says, "I am not treacherous."  Malcolm answers, "But
    Macbeth is."

  • "black Macbeth"
    (Malcolm)

  • "Not in the legions/Of horrid hell can come
    a devil more damn'd/In evils to top Macbeth"
    (Macduff)

  • "I grant him bloody/Luxurious,
    avaricious, false, deceitful/Sudden, malicious, smacking of every sin/That has a
    name.
    . ." (Malcolm)

And this
list is only from reading through the scene up to line 60.  The scene is a rather long
one, 240 lines, and holds many more derogatory terms that you can glean from a careful
reading.  I hope that these get you started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...