Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Can you give me a word or a group of letters that I can use for "Word Mine"... it is a game to warm up.I will use it for beginners.

Depending on the age level (not just ability) of the students
with whom you will use this activity, "Word Mine" is a great warm up to use in light of current
events, holidays, or other topics within or outside of your immediate lessons to reinforce
ideas.


If you are an elementary literature or language arts teacher,
this game is fun with words like "HALLOWEEN," "THANKSGIVING," or "CHRISTMAS" right around those
holidays.  You can always make a game of who can find the most words, longest words,
etc.


Other than such obvious examples, I've done this as a warm up
when substitute teaching with students' names in the class (they LOVE it) or the principal's name
(they love this even more) and characters names or places in the book the class is reading.  I
had one class of 5th graders that liked this game so much (the competitive part of finding the
most words was what kept them going) that they started supplying long words to put on the
board.


The possibilities are almost endless and I think you'll find
that your creativity will flow based on the response of your students.  Make it fun and slightly
competitive and they will enjoy it very much.


The link below gives
several ideas and includes how many words can be made out of each
example.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...