Sunday, February 17, 2013

What does "Three Years She Grew In Sun And Shower" symbolize?I understand that it is about nature taking a girl's (Lucy) life after having waited...

I think that Wordsworth's "Three Years She Grew in Sun and
Shower" refers to a very young girl who has died. (I surmised she is a a three-year old,
based on the title, though another viewpoint is just as likely to be correct.) Nature
saw her and her beauty and decided to take her life and make her a part of things like
"earth and heaven." Perhaps this is so she would not grow old, but that her beauty would
live on in and make Nature more glorious.


As a Romantic
poet, I think common themes Wordsworth would have written about would have included
nature, enjoying life, the passing of youth, etc. Perhaps the symbolism represents how
short our life is on the planet, and how quickly we become a part of nature again after
death. In light of this, Wordsworth may be suggesting that we enjoy our time and live
fully in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...