Thursday, May 16, 2013

Explain the first thing Pip does with his money after he learns that he will have an annual income of five hundred pounds.Great Expectations by...

Because Pip feels responsible for having brought Herbert into
debt with him, and because Herbert is a dear friend, Pip uses his five hundred pounds to procure
Herbert a position from "a worthy young merchant or shipping broker" who is not long established
and is in need of a knowledgeable clerk and well as capital.


readability="11">

Between him and me, secret articles were signed of which
Herbert was the subject, and I paid him half of my five hundred pounds down, and engaged for
sundry other payments: some, to fall due at certain dates out of my income: some contingent on my
coming into my property.



Wemmick's
fiancee, Miss Skiffins, has her brother conduct the negotiation, with Wemmick quietly in the
background. Pip hopes that when he comes into some property, he can use part of that to further
help Herbert in his endeavors. However, after Magwitch is revealed as his benefactor, but he
dies, Pip finds that he must turn to Miss Havisham to "spare the money to do my friend Herbert a
lasting service in life."

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...