Wednesday, January 29, 2014

How does Macbeth’s dagger soliloquy reveal his state of mind in Act II, scene i of Macbeth?

Macbeth's dagger soliloquy in Act II scene i of
Macbeth shows his state of mind to be one in which his hold on
rationality has abandoned him. The first line reveals that Macbeth is having an
hallucination: he sees a dagger that he cannot grasp:


readability="9">

Is this a dagger which I see before me, 

The handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee.
I have thee
not, and yet I see thee
still.



The first fifteen
lines elaborate upon the hallucination. Macbeth directly says "I see" four times in the
first fifteen lines and indirectly implies that he sees three times (e.g., "I see before
me ..."; "yet I see thee still ..."; "fatal vision ..."; "Mine eyes are made the fools
..."). Lines sixteen and seventeen offer his denouncement of the
vision:


readability="5">

There's no such thing:
It is the bloody
business which informs
Thus to mine
eyes.



Macbeth's state of mind
is most plainly revealed in the first fifteen lines. First of all, he's hallucinating;
never a good sign of a good or sound state of mind. From this we must know that
everything that follows is the work of a mind unhinged and deranged (disarranged) and we
must know that Macbeth cracked under pressure before Lady Macbeth did, although Macbeth,
being a trained man of war, can hold appearances together longer than she and continue
to give the appearance of sensible conduct, while she soon retires to a wash basin and
"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"


We also know that Macbeth
questions himself as to whether the vision is real or an
illusion:



Art
thou not, fatal vision, sensible
To feeling as to sight? or art thou
but
A dagger of the mind, a false creation,
....



We also know that his
brain is oppressed with literally overwhelming fear--Macbeth's reason, his rational
thought, has been overwhelmed: "Proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain." Shakespeare
metaphorically describes and compares his fear to "heat." We also know that Macbeth
compares the hallucinatory vision to his own dagger, which he draws from its sheath ("As
this which now I draw").


His state of mind at this juncture
is separated from reality and operating from a delusional perspective because, as he
compares the real dagger to the vision, he regards the vision as an omen that points his
way: "Thou marshall'st me the way that I was going; ...." The result of the soliloquy is
that we know it is at this point that Macbeth's actions are set because of his state of
mind, a state in which the power of his fear-shattered and unhinged mind accept his
hallucination as an omen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...