Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Benjamin Franklin as the first fireman in Fahrenheit 451.Why do you think the firemen’s rulebook credited Benjamin Franklin – writer,...

I was actually thinking about this question yesterday, and
I'm a teacher!  ha ha!  I'm not totally satisfied by the answer you have already been
given.  Franklin was very wise...


My mind started to wander
more to the fact that Franklin was partially responsible for bringing newspapers to
America (his brother actually started it), and that Franklin was a BOOK PRINTER,
hello...  The answer has to be in there somewhere.


I was
thinking of two possible things.  1)  people in the book don't know a whole lot because
of the way society is set up, but they would likely know of Ben Franklin, and would buy
him as some kind of authority.  If he is in to what the firemen do, then we can all just
accept it.  or  2)  Since in reality he is a symbol of literacy, maybe they are making
up this lie in order to discredit immediately what a dissenter might say.  For instance,
if Clarisse were to say "well, Ben Franklin said it's really important to read!"  Beatty
would say, "shut up girl, he was the original fireman."


I'd
like to ask Ray Bradbury personally because I'm not all that
sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...