Sunday, September 14, 2014

Phease help! Read the case study and reply.Taylor Cape is a sixth grade student who is disrupting not only her learning, but the learning of her...

The first appropriate step has already been taken. The
school needs to respond to this student on an additional level to meet her needs. Their
job will be to determine if the issue Taylor struggles with is behavioral or academic.
Many students who feel inadequate to meet a specific academic challenge will act out
with poor behavior to receive some attention for something other than the fact that they
cannot do the task at hand. Once the team isolates the problem, they can determine (if
the issue is academic) what strategies of modifcation or accomodation the teacher should
employ, or (if behavioral) what incentives and consequences should be put in place to
motivate the student to remain on task during class.


If
this will take some time before the BST will get to Taylor, a classroom teacher will
need to think on her feet. This might mean pulling Taylor out into the hall and speaking
frankly with her. A few conversations starters that have worked for me have
included:


  • Hey, it seems like something is
    bugging you today, but I have a class to run and your behavior is making it tough on me.
    Is there something I can help you with right now so we can fix
    this?

  • Taylor, I can see you need my attention, so here I
    am. What can I do for you?

  • Taylor, I really need your
    help. It seems the kids really listen to you, and today they are focused on you. Could
    you help me get them to listen to me?

  • My last
    and final idea is to give Taylor an important task to do that makes Taylor feel
    important. This might be running a note to the office to just get Taylor out of the way
    for a few minutes. You can finish your lesson and then spend a few minutes with Taylor
    when Taylor returns to go over it in terms Taylor
    understands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...