Monday, September 15, 2014

What is a good thesis statement that ties in the oppression of the nameless narrator and her mental disorder in "The Yellow Wallpaper"?

I think you are spot on with this idea. There is a definite
sense in which the madness or the lunacy of the narrator worsens with the way that her husband
and the doctors that are advising him require the narrator to remain ever-more cooped up and
imprisoned in the room. Her husband, John, is of course doing what he believes is best for her by
ensuring that she does not exhaust herself and is given lots of rest, but the result of this is a
mental imprisonment that forces the narrator to focus even more on the yellow wallpaper and see
her alter ego, a woman trapped, in its pattern. Note the following
example:



I tried to
have a real earnest reasonable talk with him the other day, and tell him how I wish he would let
me go and make a visit to Cousin Henry and Julia.


But he said I
wasn't able to go, nor able to stand it after I got there; and I did not make out a very good
case for myself for I was crying before I had
finished.



Note how it is John who
tells her what she can and cannot do. She is unable to decide or given a voice in this decision.
Thus it is that the mental imprisonment she experiences leads directly to her slide into
insanity.


Thus a good thesis statement you could use might
be:


The increased restrictions that are placed on the female
narrator drive her ever further into insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...