Sunday, July 15, 2012

Do we accept as coming from Fitzgerald himself Nick's pronouncement that Gatsby is worth the rest of the others?

Readers may differ in their response to this question, but
I believe that Nick is right.  And I believe that Fitzgerald leads us to accept this
conclusion. Gatsby is a flawed character.  He obtained his money through illegal or at
least shady deals.  He associated with people such as Wolfshiem who was responsible for
throwing the World Series.   He engages in adultery with Daisy.  He is a socially
awkward hopeless romantic.


Yet, the fact that he is willing
to take the blame for Daisy's hit and run accident that resulted in Myrtle's death and
that he is willing to stand watch just in case Tom reacted violently toward Daisy puts
him a cut above the rest.  He is not as selfish as either of the Buchanans who seem to
do nothing unless it is in their self interest as well as Jordan who cheats at golf and
lives off the generosity of others.  Yes, I would put Gatsby above the rest.  But that
is not saying much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...