Wednesday, July 18, 2012

What are the best quotes to show poetic devices in "My Last Duchess" (e.g alliteration, similies, etc.)?

In "My Last Duchess," the main poetic devices
are:


Verbal Irony: "She had A
heart--how shall I say?--too soon made glad,
Too easily impressed;" (How can being a
happy, charitable person be
bad?)


Symbolism: "my last Duchess
painted" (The Duke objectifies, reifies women as property, possessions); "smiles"; "hands";
"name" (The poem pits male jealousy and reputation "name" against suspected female
promiscuity)


Imagery: body imagery
("hands"); auditory ("speech"); gender
("breast")


Metaphor: " My favor at her
breast, The dropping of the daylight in the West,"


Sound devices
(Prosody) are:


Rhyme scheme: AABB
("call" / "wall")


Euphony: "faint Half
flush"


Cacaphony: ""Which claus of
Innsbruck cast in bronze"


Alliteration:
"Notice Neptune"


Sibiliance: "she
stands"; "such stuff"


Assonance: "E'en
then"; "We'll meet"

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...