Friday, December 5, 2014

Is the American Revolution considered radical or conservative to women?

I think that you could wind up with different ways to
approach this.  For me, though, I would have to capitulate and end up arguing that the
revolution was not radical for women.  I don't see the radical shift in power after the
revolution was completed.  There were significant roles occupied by women during the
course of the revolution.  Yet, once the dust settled, it seems to me that the British
control over the colonists was replaced with American colonists controlling women and
people of color.  For there to be some level of radicalism, I would have to see a shift
in power or a change in the distribution of power and resources.  I don't see this in
the Revolution, with one form of control being replaced with another one.  In the final
analysis, I think that this is where the Revolution ends up becoming a conservative
reality for women in that their economic and political rights were still not fully
actualized and were locked in gender stratified roles, the same condition they faced
before the conflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...