Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Why is the name Emily selected by William Faulkner for his short story "A Rose for Emily"?

I don't know about you, but when I hear the name Emily, I
picture a cute, petite blonde, young and innocent, cheeks rosy and always wearing a
smile. Emily is the name of the perfect daughter, a sweet wife, an innocent, though it
has an element of strength (Emily Bronte and Dickinson, case and point). The name Emily
then becomes a perfect means for the writer to make the ending all that horrific. Not
all is as it seems, the girl is not just a girl, nor is she innocent. The title itself
forces you to unwillingly draw conclusions about what the story will ultimately be
about, and because the ending is so drastically different from what you immediately
perceived, then you have an even greater shock at what they end up finding in her
house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...