Sunday, July 26, 2015

What is meant by rhetoric and prosody ?

I was going to give this the same once-over I've been giving
everyone else, but this is something I actually care about and I want you to understand it. So
listen up, kiddo.


Rhetoric is how you use language to persuade
someone or argue for something. Classical Rhetoric is composed of Ethos (the legitimacy of what
you're saying), Pathos (the emotional appeal of what you're saying), and Logos (the logic of what
you're saying). The way I remember it is Ethos=Ethics, Pathos=Pathetic (but not
pathetic, ya know...?), and Logos=Logic. Anyway, these three things are the
foundation of a good argument, according to the ancient Greeks. However, "rhetoric," today, has
been reduced to a pejorative term among media types (ie: "His speech was all rhetoric
and no substance," or what have you...).


Prosody is the
rhythm language has. Think poetry. Prosody incorporates not only rhthm, but intonation, meter,
flow, stress... that sort of thing. It's what makes language beautiful, simply and
artificially.


And another minilesson: pay attention in school.
There's way more merit in finding the answer for yourself than there is in siphoning the answer
up on an anonymous website where lazy kids get their homework done for
them.


(PS: if you copy this word-for-word on your assignment, the
homework gods will bash your karma like yesterday's news.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...