Thursday, December 10, 2015

Could someone paraphrase this quote for me please? "Lukewarm acceptance is more bewildering than outright rejection."I'm doing a big paper on...

This is a quote from Martin Luther King's "A Letter From
Birmingham Jail."  I would say that this quote is not so much about racism as about
fighting against it.


In this quote, King is saying that he
cannot understand people who do not really care much about the issue of racism.  He says
he can understand it if people are racist.  Those people are embracing the evil of
racism and probably think it is good.  But people who are only lukewarm against racism
are strange to him.  He wonders how you can say "well, that's wrong, but I don't really
care enough to do anything about it."


So if you're looking
for a paraphrase, what he's saying is "I understand if you hate me, but if you don't
hate me, how can you not support me when I fight against
hate?"


Like I say, this isn't really a quote about the
nature of racism -- it's about the fight against it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...