Wednesday, December 30, 2015

What are some quotes that prove that Horatio is loyal in Hamlet?

1. Act I, Sc. 2


HORATIO

As I do live, my honour'd lord, 'tis true;
And we did think it writ
down in our duty
To let you know of
it


Horatio feels that it is duty to inform Hamlet
that he has seen the ghost of Hamlet's father.


2. Act II, Sc.
4


What if it tempt you toward the flood, my
lord,
Or to the dreadful summit of the cliff
That beetles o'er his
base into the sea,
And there assume some other horrible form,
Which
might deprive your sovereignty of reason
And draw you into
madness?


Horatio urges Hamlet not to follow the
Ghost because it may harm him.


3. Act I, Sc.
5


HAMLET 
And now, good friends,
As you
are friends, scholars and soldiers,
Give me one poor
request.

HORATIO
What is't, my lord? we
will.

HAMLET
Never make known what you have seen
to-night.

HORATIO MARCELLUS
My lord, we will
not.

HAMLET
Nay, but
swear't.


Horatio swears to Hamlet that he will
not reveal Hamlet's meeting with the
Ghost.


4. ACT V, Sc.
2


HORATIO: I am more an antique Roman than a Dane. Here's
yet some liquor left.


After seeing that Hamlet
has been wounded with the poison sword, Horatio says that he will commit suicide rather
than outlive his friend Hamlet.  This is in accordance with ancient Roman ideas based on
the Greek philosophy of Stoicism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...