Sunday, December 20, 2015

In To Kill a Mockingbird, how does Miss Maudie view the trial and its results?

Miss Maudie believe that Atticus was almost "called" to
take on Tom Robinson's case. It was as if Atticus was the only person who could morally
take the case and do it right. We see this in her
words,


readability="6">


“I simply want to tell you that there
are some men in this world who were born to do our unpleasant jobs for us. Your father’s
one of them."



Furthermore,
she points out that he did it because the town counts on him to do the right thing and
that is a high honor:


readability="8">

“We’re so rarely called on to be Christians, but
when we are, we’ve got men like Atticus to go for
us."



She goes on to point out
that Judge Taylor and Heck Tate were in the right places too in order to begin to show
the society of Maycomb that the time is coming when blacks will be treated equally with
whites.


readability="17">


“You think about that,” Miss Maudie
was saying. “It was no accident. I was sittin‘ there on the porch last night, waiting. I
waited and waited to see you all come down the sidewalk, and as I waited I thought,
Atticus Finch won’t win, he can’t win, but he’s the only man in these parts who can keep
a jury out so long in a case like that. And I thought to myself, well, we’re making a
step—it’s just a babystep, but it’s a
step.



This shows she realized
that the jury's long time meant someone was really thinking about doing the right thing
as far as the jury was concerned. Maudie calls this a step, but it's a good step and a
necessary step for change to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...