Tuesday, December 1, 2015

In Act I Scene 2 how does Lord Capulet seem to be protective of Juliet at first?

If you look at this scene, you will see that Lord Capulet
(at this point in the play) is really trying to do what is best for his daughter.  I
think you can call that being protective. Specifically, he tries to protect her from
getting into a marriage that she does not want.


We see this
when Paris asks him if he can marry Juliet.  Lord Capulet knows this would be a good
match in terms of helping the family.  But he does not just force Juliet to do it. 
Instead, he tells Paris that Juliet is too young.  He
says



My child
is yet a stranger in the world,
She hath not seen the change of fourteen
years;
Let two more summers wither in their pride(10)
Ere we may
think her ripe to be a
bride.



He tells Paris that
Paris should try to woo Juliet.  If she agrees, then he will be okay with
is:


readability="8.8888888888889">

But woo her, gentle Paris, get her
heart;
My will to her consent is but a part.
href="../../../../../romeo-and-juliet-text/act-i-scene-ii#prestwick-gloss-1-27">An
she agree, within her scope of choice
Lies my consent and fair according
voice.



By doing this, Lord
Capulet is acting in a protective way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...