Sunday, April 24, 2011

What quotes (chapter and page) says that Myrtle regrets marrying George Wilson?

About half-way through chapter 2 of The Great
Gatsby
, Catherine and Myrtle have a conversation about
George:


readability="31">

"Well, I married him,." said Myrtle,
ambiguously.


"And that's the difference between your case
and mine.." "Why did you, Myrtle?." demanded
Catherine.


"Nobody forced you to.." Myrtle
considered.


"I married him because I thought he was a
gentleman,." she said finally.


"I thought he knew something
about breeding, but he wasn't fit to lick my shoe.." "You
were crazy about him for a while,." said Catherine.


"Crazy
about him!." cried Myrtle incredulously.


"Who said I was
crazy about him? I never was any more crazy about him than I was about that man there.."
She pointed suddenly at me, and every one looked at me accusingly. I tried to show by my
expression that I had played no part in her
past.


"The only crazy I was was when I
married
him.



Myrtle's
affair with Tom has spoiled her.  It's afforded her a New York apartment, mint julips,
and a fancy collar for her dog.  Myrtle thinks she's has gone from the bottom of the
social ladder to the top.


Myrtle has also bought into Tom's
racist and class-warrior ideas.  As such, she views George as a poorly bred mongrel.
 She has bought into Tom's social-Darwinian view that whites are better than blacks,
white collar is better than blue collar, East Eggers are better than West Eggers, and
that a Valley of Ashes mistresses can become a posh New York
socialite.


This is all before Tom slaps some sense into
her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...