Saturday, April 21, 2012

If I have 10 different colored beads. In how many ways can I make a necklace?

This the permuations around a
ring.


Unlike the arrangements in a line the arrangements
around a ring , the starting and end points
coincide.


Therefore the order of the place does not
count.


Now, let there be n different (coloured)
beads.


So for a fixed place of the one particular bead  in
the necklace,  the number of arrangements of other n-1 beads = (n-1)!
ways.


If consider clockwise and anticlock wise as of no
consequence, then n different beaded necklace = could be in
(n-1)!/2.


Therefore 10 different coloured beaded necklace
could be in


(10-1)!  = 9! ways = 362880 ways (cw  and antcw
are considered different)


9!/2 = 181440 ways (cw and anti
cw are not consedred different.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...