Wednesday, April 11, 2012

In Chapter 58 of Great Expectations, what does Pumblechook publicly instruct Pip to tell Joe?

In Chapter 58, Pumblechook is trying to take credit for
Pip's previous good fortune -- for the fact that Pip got to go off and be educated. 
Because of this, he tells Pip to tell Joe that he (Pip) has seen the man who had helped
him (Pip) out.  He is supposed to imply to Joe that Pumblechook is the one who is
responsible for Pip's "great expectations."  You can see this in the following quote
spoken by Pumblechook to Pip:


readability="14">

"I will tell you, young man, what to say to
Joseph. Says you, "Joseph, I have this day seen my earliest benefactor and the founder
of my fortun's. I will name no names, Joseph, but so they are pleased to call him up
town, and I have seen that
man."



Pip refuses to do
this.  When that happens, Pumblechook starts to make him look bad in front of all the
people.  He makes it look like he is the benefactor and that Pip is an ungrateful
person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...