Thursday, April 19, 2012

What do we learn about life in Maycomb in the 1930s from the presentation of female characters in To Kill a Mockingbird?

In my opinion, chapter 24 helps draw many conclusions
about women and their roles in the 1930s.


First, we see
that women are expected to dress appropriately. Scout is criticized regularly by Aunt
Alexandra for her trousers and the description of Alexandra's physical appearance in
chapter 13 demonstrates her pride in Southern women's values for
appearances.


Second, we see that women are full of gossip.
Almost every situation that Scout notices in a woman besides Maudie includes great
gossip. Stephanie Crawford is portrayed as a great exaggerator. The Missionary Circle is
more about what is going on with the trial than the poor Mrunas they collect money
for.


Last, we see women as hypocrites who use their church
as a part of their lifestyle, but don't necessarily offer the grace, forgiveness and
kindness likely preached in their pulpits. Look at how some of the ladies discussed the
black community the day after a significantly unfair trial went down in
Maycomb:



Mrs.
Merriweather faced Mrs. Farrow: “Gertrude, I tell you there’s nothing more distracting
than a sulky darky. Their mouths go down to here. Just ruins your day to have one of ‘em
in the kitchen. You know what I said to my Sophy, Gertrude? I said, ’Sophy,‘ I said,
’you simply are not being a Christian today. Jesus Christ never went around grumbling
and complaining,‘ and you know, it did her good. She took her eyes off that floor and
said, ’Nome, Miz Merriweather, Jesus never went around grumblin‘.’ I tell you, Gertrude,
you never ought to let an opportunity go by to witness for the
Lord.”



Isn't that terrible?
The women must have had some positive traits, but I believe the reason Lee paints Scout
as a tomboy is because she herself is rebelling against the idea of being a Southern
Woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...