Friday, April 20, 2012

Is Jane's marriage with Rochester a happy ending in Jane Eyre? If not, why?

Jane Eyre's marriage to Edward Rochester at the end of
Charlotte Bronte's novel, Jane Eyre, is a romantic one, certainly. 
For, earlier in the novel, Jane has so happily accepted Mr. Rochester's proposal of
marriage only to learn that he is already married.  Refusing to compromise her
principles, Jane leaves Mr. Rochester despite his
pleas:



"Jane,
do you mean to go one way in the world, and to let me go
another?"


"I do."


"....Oh,
Jane!  This is bitter. This--this is wicked.  It would not be wicked to love
me."


"It would to obey
you."



After Edward
Rochester's rebirth by fire, however, in which he is blinded only to really see, Jane
returns to Thornfield to love and cherish the man who now has paid for his sins.  For
Jane, the ending is, indeed, happy since she can love Mr. Rochester without compromising
her principles.  In addition, Jane's marriage to Mr. Rochester seems a reward for her
earlier denials of his proposal as well as that of St. John
Rivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...