Monday, August 20, 2012

In Romeo and Juliet, how does Act 1, scene 1 end in a similar fashion to scene 2?

In Act 1, scene i, Benvolio gets in the last
words:



ROMEO: Where I
may read who pass'd that passing fair? Farewell: thou canst not teach me to
forget.

BENVOLIO: I'll pay that doctrine, or else die in
debt.



Benvolio is trying to convince
Romeo that it is time to check out all the other fish in the sea. Romeo doesn't think he could
possibly forget Rosaline. He is too taken with her, so Benvolio commits to take whatever time it
takes to get Romeo over this girl who doesn't want to have anything to do with
him.


In scene ii, Romeo gets the last words, but only after Benvolio
convinces him to go to a party to check out other ladies. Romeo's words prove he only wants to go
in case he might get to see a glimpse of Rosaline who is indeed on the list of the
invited:


readability="15">

BENVOLIO 
Tut, you saw her fair, none else
being by,
Herself poised with herself in either eye:
But in that crystal
scales let there be weigh'd
Your lady's love against some other maid
That I
will show you shining at this feast,
And she shall scant show well that now shows
best.

ROMEO 
I'll go along, no such sight to be shown,
But
to rejoice in splendor of mine
own.



These scenes end with the same
characters discussing the same topics and each character has maintained their same
motivations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...