Monday, August 27, 2012

What promise did Burns make in "To A Mouse"?

"To a Mouse" has two inferred promises. Burns, saddened
that he has disturbed this little mouse's winter home with his ploughing, promises that
he will not begrudge the little creature what corn of his she can manage to save: he
says he will not miss it.


readability="15">

I doubt na, whiles, but thou may
thieve;


What then? poor beastie, thou maun
live!


A daimen icker in a
thrave


‘S a sma’ request;


I’ll
get a blessin wi’ the lave,


An’ never
miss’t!



He also says that he
sympathizes with the mouse, feeling in much the same circumstances as she: trying to
survive. In this case, he feels regret for the panic he has caused her and says he will
not like others, chase her and try to kill her.


readability="20">

WEE, sleekit, cow’rin, tim’rous
beastie,


O, what a panic’s in thy
breastie!


Thou need na start awa sae
hasty,


Wi’ bickering
brattle!


I wad be laith to rin an’ chase
thee,


Wi’ murd’ring
pattle!



No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...