Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Act TWO Scene 1 How would you describe Macbeth's state of mind as he makes his way to Duncan's chambers?

Macbeth is seriously conflicted in his mind as he approaches
Duncan's chamber and considers the deed which he will commit. As soon as he is alone in the
darkness he begins to hallucinate: seeing a ghastly dagger which appears to direct his
actions-



Is this a
dagger which I see before me,
The handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee.

I have thee not, and yet I see thee
still.



Macbeth is under no illusion
that his deed is evil, so is aware of the gravity of his sin -


readability="6">

Now o'er the one half-world
Nature seems dead,
and wicked dreams abuse
The curtain'd
sleep;



He is however regretful that
Duncan has to die for him to succeed, and his final lines show the confusion Macbeth
has-



I go, and it is
done: the bell invites me.
Hear it not, Duncan, for it is a knell
That
summons thee to heaven, or to
hell.



Macbeth seems unsure as to
whether he is condemning his king to hell or himself. It is inevitable that they will not both
end up in the same place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...