Friday, January 11, 2013

What is an indirect quote that helps to show what Atticus faced during the trial that affected who he is? Please give a chapter and page number....

Perhaps this subject is addressed best in Chapter 9 during the
Finches' visit to Uncle Jimmy and Aunt Alexandra's house at Maycomb Landing during Christmas.
Scout overhears a conversation Atticus is having with his brother Jack--or at least she thinks
she does. It turns out that Atticus realizes she is listening, and afterward, he calls her
name--her "scalp jumped"--and tells her to go to bed. It was information that Atticus wanted her
to hear, but it would be many years before Scout would realize this. Atticus explains to his
brother why he decided to take on the defense of Tom
Robinson.


"But do you think I could face my children
otherwise? You know what's going to happen as well as I do, Jack, and I hope and pray I can get
Jem and Scout through it without bitterness, and most of all, without catching Maycomb's usual
disease... I just hope Jem and Scout come to me for their answers instead of listening to the
town. I hope they trust me enough..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...