Monday, January 14, 2013

Describe three steps in Frightful's training from My Side of the Mountain.

There is not any place in the book where it straight out
says "here are three steps of the way I trained Frightful.  But Sam does talk about
various things that he does to train the bird.


For example,
the first thing he does (so maybe you could call it the first step) is simply to talk to
Frightful and touch her a lot.  He says that this makes a falcon easier to
train.


Then, in the chapter entitled "Frightful Learns Her
ABC's," Sam starts to train her more "formally."  For example, he would put a leash on
her and let her sit on a stump.  He would back up, hold some meat, and whistle to her. 
That was supposed to teach her to come when he
whistled.


The third step that I'll talk about is when he
trains her to attack a lure.  He made sure she was really hungry, let her go, and then
he would throw his lure up in the air for her to swoop down and catch it.  That taught
her to attack prey, bring it to the ground, and wait for him to come and reward her with
food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...