Monday, October 28, 2013

In Araby, if my topic is the beginning of the boy's maturity what could be an example of a point I would want to make?The question concerns my thesis.

Well, one place to start would be to think through how the boy
is compared at the beginning of the story and what happens to him at the end of the story when he
experiences his epiphany and becomes a lot more mature. This will allow you to compare and
contrast how the narrator is developed in the story and crucially how the experience of going to
Araby initiates his process of maturing.


It is clear from the
beginning of the story that the boy is youthful, impossibly romantic and idealistic. He views
what Mangan's sister has asked him to do as a romantic quest with himself as the knight in
shining armour:



These
noises converged in a single sensation of life for me: I imagined that I bore my chalice safely
through a throng of foes. Her name sprang to my lips at moments in strange prayers and praises
which I myself did not
understand.



However, this highly
romantic view of his life and his relationship with Mangan's sister is destroyed by the reality
of the bazaar and the darkness that surrounds him at the story's
close:



Gazing up into
the darkness I saw myself as a creature driven and derided by vanity; and my eyes burned with
anguish and anger.



He has realised the
falsity of his illusions and is ashamed with how he had looked on life, and now is a maturer
individual after his epiphany.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...