Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Why does Captain Torres tell the barber all about his plans for the rebels even though he suspects that the barber is a secret rebel ?

 Captain Torres knows that the barber is a member of the
rebel group and has been warned that the barber will kill him if he goes in there.
Torres seems to even invite the barber to kill him by bragging about the recent capture
of a group of rebels and reminding the barber of the barbaric events of the week
before. So why would Torres go to the barber shop? Part of the answer lies in
understanding Latin American culture, especially during a period of violent, political
unrest. Boys were raised to be macho, called "machismo" in Latin America. Even in the
U.S., we have traditionally raised our boys to be tough and macho. In a sense, Torres is
daring the barber to kill him to show the barber how macho he is. Torres knows that if
the barber kills him, the barber will be caught and punished, but I don't think Torres
has a death wish. He's willing to gamble his life that the barber won't be able to kill
him. At the end, Torres says to the barber, "They told me that you'd kill me. I came to
find out. But killing isn't easy. You can take my word for it." Torres seems to be
saying the barber's inaction is cowardice and to throw it in his face. The barber has to
take Torres' word that killing isn't easy because he was unable to kill
Torres.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...