Saturday, October 12, 2013

In The Great Gatsby, how does Gatsby introduce himself in Chapter 3?

Chapter 3 of The Great Gatsby
describes the first of Gatsby's parties that Nick attends. Nick narrates how
he was sitting at a table with another couple while he was with Jordan Baker. The man at
the table with Nick thinks he knows Nick from the army, and they start talking about
their experiences in France:


readability="10">

We talked for a moment about some wet, gray
little villages in France. Evidently he lived in this vicinity, for he told me that he
had just bought a hydroplane, and was going to try it out in the
morning.



Nick says he was
just on the point of asking this stranger for his name when Jordan interrupts him. Then
he tells the man that he has not even met Gatsby yet: "I haven’t even seen the host." It
is then that the stranger reveals himself as Jay Gatsby, saying, "I’m Gatsby, ... I
thought you knew, old sport. I'm afraid I'm not a very good host." Thus it is only by
accident that Gatsby introduces himself and Nick comes to realize who Gatsby
is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...