Thursday, June 12, 2014

Is the time Pony and Johnny spend at the church symbolic in The Outsiders?

I think what you're asking is whether their stay in the church
was symbolic, and I would say yes it is. First of all Johnny was persecuted by his parents, but
also by the Socs. It was this persecution by the Socs that led to Bob's death and caused the boys
to run away. During this time Ponyboy and Johnny became closer friends and
confidants.


Now, and here I'm going out on a limb, but think about
these things:1)All of the Greaser's looked toward Johnny almost as a figurehead is he possibly
symbolic of a messiah figures? His initials are JC. They do look to him for his gentle nature.
They question whether they can go on when he dies.


If he is symbolic
of a messiah figure, then yes the church would also have special
significance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...