Saturday, June 21, 2014

What are some examples of metaphors in The Lovely Bones?

A metaphor is a comparison that does not use the words "like" or
"as."  Here are some metaphors from The Lovely
Bones
.


1) I knew he was going to kill me. I did not
realize then that I was an animal already dying."


Susie
was not, of course, literally a dog or cat or any other animal.  Rather, she is
comparing herself to a dying
animal.


2) In the walls of my sex there was horror and
blood, in the walls of hers there were windows.


A sexual
experience does not actually have walls. Susie is comparing her experience to walls that limit
and contain a person.


 3) Mr. Harvey left his house for
the final time while my mother was granted her most temporal wish. To find a doorway out of her
ruined heart, in merciful adultery.


A heart does not have
a doorway.  The author is comparing an emotional release to an exit through a doorway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...