Monday, March 17, 2014

Mond relates the best argument for the brave new world society. what is it?

I see that you have tagged this with "Chapter 16" so I
will use lines from that chapter, even though I think that his arguments in Chapter 17
are at least as persuasive as those in Ch. 16.  Basically, Mond's best argument in Ch.
16 is that the brave new world keeps people safe.


In the
world that John and Helmholtz want to have, people can have strong emotions.  They can
enjoy beautiful things.  They can really, truly, be human.  Mond agrees that there are
benefits to this.  However, he points out that these things come at a price.  Here is a
good line:


readability="5">

What's the point of truth or beauty or knowledge
when the anthrax bombs are popping all around
you?



What Mond is saying is
that it is better to be safe, to be alive, than to have the excitement and intense life
that you could have in our "regular" world.  The civilization has traded emotions and
such for safety and that is Mond's argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...