Thursday, March 20, 2014

Which of the first ten Amendments is the most important?

In my mind the right to free speech is one of if not the
most important one we have.  The idea that we can speak out against a government or even
against a particular elected individual and not be afraid of reprisals is so
important.


I find it to be somewhat troubling that this
right is more limited than we think it is, most people cannot speak out against their
employers (even though there are some very minor whistle-blowing protections) because
anything of that nature is grounds for dismissal, job-speech is not protected by the
first amendment.


Students don't have the right to free
speech, in the end the principal can decide what can and can't be published in a school
newspaper and it can often be very difficult for them to make their voice
heard.


So protecting for and even enhancing this right
seems absolutely vital to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...