Friday, April 19, 2013

How does the form of "Strange Meeting," by Wilfred Owen, relate to its content?

The Poem’ Strange Meeting’ is written as an elegy: traditionally
a form used to lament or mourn the dead. Owen is mourning the death of the narrator, curiously a
poet who we take to be Owen himself, and a soldier with whom he died in battle who identifies
himself:



 I am the
enemy you killed, my friend



This use
of antithesis and contrast occurs throughout the poem to highlight the opposites of life and
death, war and peace, friend and enemy. The effect is to draw attention to the cruel ambiguities
and senseless contradictions of war.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...