Monday, April 8, 2013

I am doing a research project for English class on dictatorship in 1984. Can you please help?I'm not positive what my general question is. It...

I think that you might be on a very good track here.  I
believe that you might be well set to argue that Orwell's work is more of a cautionary
tale about the dangers of totalitarian rule.  Given the fact that there is little in way
of redemption about dictatorship rule in the work, the narrative provided might be one
where individuals have to be mindful of allowing or enabling a government to resemble
that of Big Brother.  I think that I would use the need for individual rights to act as
a shield against government encroachment as part of this.  Orwell's vision of government
is only possible because there is no sense of the private available.  Individuals lack
any mechanism, such as inalienable entitlements, that would limit its reach.  In the
prevention of a dictatorship, individual liberties is one element that must be present. 
Another idea I would pull from the work is the idea that governments succeed in their
desire to wrangle the wills of the citizens when there is no will present.  The
submission of individuals to the Party and to Big Brother empowers the authority
structure.  I think that this might be another element that Orwell is discussing. 
Individuals who passively take for granted a supposedly benevolent form of government
might be asking for trouble.  The references to Soviet Russia are present.  Yet, Orwell
was equally concerned with what might happen in a liberal West, when individuals
surrender political activism for individual comfort or blind submission to that which
dulls the senses such as popular entertainment.  In this light, one sees that Orwell
suggests that vigilance and activity are vitally important to preventing a dictatorship
from forming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...