Sunday, April 14, 2013

What lessons can be learned from the play Hamlet?I am explaining how the theme of hamlet can be applied to today's life and the lessons that can...

One passage in the play that plainly pertains to both your theme
and the question is Hamlet's "meet it is I set it down / That one may smile, and smile, and be a
villain. / At least I'm sure it may be so in Denmark"(1.5).  Polonius is a tedious old fool, yet
some of his lines are worth studying.  The "To be, or not to be" monologue seems to be a
soliloquy, yet the context is such that it may be directed at the King(Immediately after Polonius
offers his plan(2.2), Hamlet enters and seems to be reading a book). The King's response to the
play within the play seems to indicate guilt, yet we don't know until he speaks a soliloquy:  "O,
my offence is rank"(3.3).  Samuel Johnson's intro to Shakespeare is interesting and in the
discussion board there's a good note from June 10 of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...