Tuesday, April 23, 2013

What can you tell me about Scout's character in the first 2 chapters of To Kill a Mockingbird?

Being the narrator, Scout tells us much about everyone
else, so we have to read in between the lines a little bit to uncover her character. She
tells the story as a 6 year old with great curiosity about the world around her and she
is telling us some very specific details so we can tell she is pretty smart. Here are
some quotes to get you going:


readability="29">

Our mother died when I was two, so I never felt
her absence. (6)


We lived in the main residential street in
town— Atticus, Jem and I, plus Calpurnia our cook. (6)


She
was always ordering me out of the kitchen, asking me why I couldn’t behave as well as
Jem when she knew he was older, and calling me home when I wasn’t ready to come.
(6)


When I was almost six and Jem was nearly ten, our
summertime boundaries (within calling distance of Calpurnia) were Mrs. Henry Lafayette
Dubose’s house two doors to the north of us, and the Radley Place three doors to the
south. (6)


Before the first morning was over, Miss Caroline
Fisher, our teacher, hauled me up to the front of the room and patted the palm of my
hand with a ruler, then made me stand in the corner until noon.
(16)



Scout obviously gets in
a little bit of trouble every here and there. But that trouble is often because she is
so smart. If you are to do a character sketch on this gal, it seems that we learn early
on that she is a tomboy, so include some overalls. Note too that she hangs out with a
couple of boys and that the removal of her mother might be contributing to her
actions.


I hope these help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...