Wednesday, August 28, 2013

In "A Visit from St. Nicholas," what does "Bound" in line 32 mean?

Whenever you have any questions like this it is very important
to always look at the word in context to see if there are any contextual clues that might give a
hint as to the meaning of the word you are trying to identify. This is a very important skill to
develop as often, even when we have no idea what the word we are looking at means, we can deduce
the meaning from its context and the other words surrounding it. Let us apply this process in
this case:



And then,
in a twinkling, I heard on the roof


The prancing and pawing of each
little hoof.


As I drew in my head, and was turning
around,


Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a
bound.



The key phrases to focus on
therefore are "Down the chimney." How does St. Nicholas go down the chimney? The answer is "with
a bound." We can therefore deduce that "bound" means "leap." This of course fits our general
impression of St. Nicholas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...