Tuesday, August 27, 2013

What is the reindeer herd's strategy against the biting flies?

I imagine that your own text or the movie you watched (or
whatever your source of information is) tells you the answer you are supposed to come up
with.  I hope that the study that I have linked to below (just look at the summary that
comes before the introduction) gives the same inforamtion as your
text...


Basically, the strategy of a reindeer herd is to
clump up.   This is especially true of females with young and of reindeer herds in open
country.  When the reindeer clump up, the reindeer in the middle of the herd are much
less likely to be bitten by the flies.  This is actually quite important to their
health.


Another strategy the reindeer use is to hide in the
forest.  This tends to be more of a strategy that is used by males since they are more
likely to be on their own than females are.


Both of these
strategies are believed to work to decrease the problem the reindeer have with the
flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...