Friday, August 16, 2013

What is the most important dramatic unit of Act I, scene i in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream? *A dramatic unit occurs when: there is a...

I did a bit of research on the term "dramatic unit," and, as far
as I can determine, it was first used by John Howard Lawson, a playwright and screenwriter, in
his 1960 treatise:  Theory and Technique of
Playwriting
.


I feel that it is important to begin the
answer to your question with this information, so that you understand that the term "dramatic
unit" was not one that Shakespeare knew or understood.  It was coined in the 20th century many
hundreds of years after Shakespeare lived and worked in the theatre.  So, while it might be a
useful way to analyze the structure of Shakespeare's scenes from a modern perspective, it has
nothing to do with the writing Shakespeare was doing in the
Renaissance.


All of this being said, the best that I can conform Act
I, scene i to the progression of rising and falling action as described above, it fits the part
of the scene beginning at line 20 with the entrance of Egeus, Hermia, Lysander and Demetrius and
ending at line 127 with the exit of Theseus, Hippolyta, Egeus, and Demetrius, which leaves Hermia
and Lysander onstage alone for a new "dramatic unit" of action.


The
"dramatic unit" encased between these two points in the scene involves the rising and falling
action concerning Hermia and her father's insistence and Theseus' decree that she marry
Demetrius, though she is in love with Lysander.  This unit of action rises to a climax with
Hermia's plea to Theseus to override her father's edict and concludes with his decision to uphold
the command that Hermia marry Demetrius or face the
consequences.


Please follow the links below for more on Act I, scene
i and John Howard Lawson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...