Friday, August 9, 2013

What is the difference between Dickens' two endings?

The only work of Dickens that I know of that has two
different endings is Great Expectations. So I have moved this
question to that group.  I hope that is what you were asking
about.


The major difference between the two endings has to
do with what happens with Pip and Estella.  In Dickens' original ending, it is clear
that Pip and Estella will never get together.  Estella marries someone else and it
appears that she and Pip will never see one another again, let alone be in love with one
another.


In the second ending, we are not specifically told
what becomes of the two of them.  However, the last line in this version strongly
implies they will end up together:


readability="13">

I took her hand in mine, and we went out of the
ruined place; and, as the morning mists had risen long ago when I first left the forge,
so, the evening mists were rising now, and in all the broad expanse of tranquil light
they showed to me, I saw no shadow of another parting from
her.



This is, of course, a
very significant difference in the ending of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...