Monday, November 4, 2013

In "The Cask of Amontillado" do any of Fortunato's words and actions support or refute the narrator's belief that Fortunato is worthy of hatred?

That's a tricky one. Personally, I think Montresor is
clearly an "unreliable narrator" (suggestion: This is a common term used when discussing
literature; Google it and get a good idea what it
means).


Especially unreliable when it comes to Fortunato;
it should be fairly clear that M.s thinking has something wrong with it.  More
precisely, I think he misinterprets what's happening in the world, and his own place in
it.


Assuming M reports their conversation accurately, I
don't see anything particularly hateful about F, (your own opinion may differ; read
carefully and decide what you think) but clearly M does.  Is he right or wrong?  Does he
have a disordered mind that interprets F as hateful, or is he right and merely giving an
accurate report of the situation?


Not to give away any
answers, as I said, I think M's mind is dangerously disordered:  you could arguably say
he is murderously insane.  (These are very outdated terms; you could look up "paranoia",
"schizophrenia" to get a sense of how M is thought of
today).


The question now is, if M is essentially a crazy
murderer, who likes to torture his victim, is he hateful?  Or is he
a victim of his own disorder, more properly to be kept away from harming people, but to
be cared for rather than hated?


The reference I give is for
Wikipedia, which is often suspect as a source of information.  However, I think this
article, and the others it refers to, are adequate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...