Saturday, February 1, 2014

"It is the function of the vice to keep virtue within reasonable grounds." Discuss? I don't really understand this quote.

Samuel Butler was best known for his satirical work, and I
believe that this quote is an example of him being somewhat satirical.  I believe that
he is using this quote to say that people who are excessively virtuous are as much of a
problem as those who indulge in vices to excess.


The quote
that you give is preceded by a sentence saying that virtue, if unchecked, would be
"insufferable."  He is saying that a society that is made up of people who are too
serious about being virtuous will be deadly dull and that it would kill itself off just
as much as a society that was dedicated to vice.


I suppose
you could equate this to the saying "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." 
Butler is saying that all virtue and no vice makes for a dull and insufferable life or
society.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...