Sunday, April 27, 2014

In "Just Lather, That's All," what does the narrator say about his fate?

This is another good question about this excellent short story
that contains a massive surprise at the end. The barber regrets intensely the position that fate
or "destiny" has placed him in. He is forced to make a decision which he would rather not make.
On the one hand, he could choose to do his job well as a barber, which is a very important thing
for him, but on the other hand he could kill Captain Torres for the cause of the rebels. As he
puts it:



My destiny
depends on the edge of this
blade.



However, after this
realization, he then has a kind of epiphany or sudden understanding about his role in life or his
fate:



But I don't want
to be a murderer. You came to me for a shave. And I perform my work honourably... I don't want
blood on my hands. Just lather, that's all. You are an executioner and I am only a barber. Each
person has his own place in the scheme of
things.



Thus the narrator, he
realises, is fated not to have blood on his hands, "just lather, that's all." He recognizes his
place in the "scheme of things," just as surely as he recognizes the place of Captain Torres.
This seems to indicate a grudging acceptance of the roles that fate has given them and also the
beginnings of a respect for Captain Torres and the job that he does - the job that the barber is
unable to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...